Your home's roof is its first defense against the heat beating down from the hot summer sun. Unfortunately, the older your roof is, the less efficient it will mitigate your home's interior temperature in the middle of San Diego's hottest months. So you may be asking yourself - will a brand new roof make a difference in my home's energy efficiency?
The short answer is a resounding YES. Here are six ways a roof replacement will benefit your home this summer.
- Shingle color is the simplest answer. The darker your roof shingles, the more they absorb the sun's heat. Light-colored roof shingles reflect UV rays away up to 90%!
- Solar reflection piggybacks right on top of the shingle color, which can help lower your home's overall temperature by up to 30%.
- Roof ventilation is another logical variable; you've probably experienced this when wearing non-breathable shoes. Ventilation helps keep things cool and dry, which is necessary for your home's interior environment.
- The R-value of your roofing shingles may be another consideration, as materials with a higher R-value impact your home's thermal mass in general. Because of its insulative properties, a material with a high R-value can keep the coolness inside the building while color and ventilation keep the heat out.
- An energy star rating can say a lot about the quality of your building materials and appliances. As the authority on energy efficiency, energy star shingles can lower your home's temperature by 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Technologically advanced roofing shingles are an amazing option for homeowners who want to go above and beyond on energy savings and production. In fact, by installing modernized photovoltaic (solar) panels or tiles on your roof, you can produce enough energy to sell it back to the grid for a profit.
A new roof has the potential to greatly reduce your home's energy conservation and therefore, save you money on utility bills across the board. If you can, search for a contractor who knows what they're doing. When it comes down to it, proper installation can extend the lifespan of your new roof and keep it under a lifetime warranty.
However, roofing materials aren't the only factor in getting the most value out of your roof. You have to pick and choose the contractor who will do it right. At Ascent Roofing, providing the highest quality work leads to the best product value in the long run.
Contact us today for a free estimate and find out why we're a trusted contractor for all your roofing needs in the San Diego area.